Sunday, July 13, 2008

Awwwwwww man . . .

This phrase has come out of Jake's mouth a lot this past week. Ever since we returned from our trip to Ohio and he discovered a huge Disney Store bag full of presents on the floor in our room while we were unpacking. I hit an amazing sale while we were up there (seriously, great toys for about 5 bucks each) and loaded up for his impending birthday. Ryan discovered him just as he'd peaked in the first bag . . . he was frozen in surprise, anticipation and excitment. Well, that didn't last long as Ryan pried his screaming and writhing body from the bag explaining that these were birthday presents and it wasn't yet his birthday. You can imagine how well that went over. So for the next hour we had a repeating cycle of Jake sobbing and crying on the rug by our front door, then calming down, thinking it through, coming up with a mastermind plan, making his way to the door of our room to carry out his plan (something like: "mommy, do you hear somefing in there? I fink I hear somefing in your room"), me saying "Jake, there is nothing in my room, you can't go in there right now" and Jake re-dissolving into tears and retreating back to his rug by the door.

This was all compounded by total sleep deprivation from our trip and honestly Ryan and I just laughed the whole time. Poor Jake was so distraught and rightly so. He'd had a peak into the promised land of Disney Store goodness and it was like we'd told him he had to wander in the desert for 40 years before he could get in. I know to his little mind 3 weeks sure feels like at least that long.

3 comments:

Red said...

Poor Jake...all that disney goodness just out of his reach...

I remember one Christmas when I found the presents from Santa - like wrapped and labeled To: Redonna, From: Santa... unmistakable... I was so sad, but I pretended I didn't know so "Santa" would keep coming. Thinking back, I was quite the manipulative child. I hope that's not a sign of things to come, they say payback's a b&*%h. hum...

Unknown said...

Awwwwwwww, man! Wow, I can only imagine the depths of unfairness he felt he was in. How funny!

Unknown said...

That is soooo funny..what kind of a mom are you..making a child wait for his birthday presents:) ha ha. poor kid...Disney goodies so close, yet so far away.