Sunday, March 16, 2008

Palm Sunday

Ahhh yes, today was Palm Sunday. The mark of the beginning of the holiest week on the Christian calendar. A day I love as we watch the little children wave their palm branches and shout with joy giving a small picture of what it must have been to watch the triumphal entry of Christ into Jerusalem all those years ago. Beautiful, touching, and totally NOT how my Palm Sunday turned out!!!
Hmmm, let's see now. First of all those palm fronds that are so sweet in the hands of other peoples children are just a nightmare in the hands of mine. They are so exuberant and excited and 100% unaware of appropriate palm frond etiquette. As our pastor encouraged them to wave them high Jake waved his so vigorously he was whapping people left and right. Jake is also chorusing along and repeating everything Richard says (Wave those palm branches, Wave them high) and not even bothering to use his stage whisper that he normally saves for church. Oy vey.
So then its time to pray and just as our pastor begins his prayer Jake reaches down and hits the button that turns on the Baby Einstein toy that is velcroed (VERY FIRMLY velcroed) onto Reid's baby carrier. There is no off switch to this toy and the song that I've always thought was too short to keep Reid entertained for long is now playing and it turns out that it is in fact very long. I try to wait it out thinking surely it will stop soon but it doesn't and eventually I pick up the entire carrier (as getting the velcro undone while holding Reid is impossible and would be much noisier than the actual song) and run out of the church leaving Jake in my dust. I'm sure this upset him but I couldn't hear it over the pounding of my heart and when I came back thankfully he was calmed down. And miraculously my friends that we were sitting with had taken it upon themselves to move Jake down to the other end of our row as far away from me as possible.
So, not exactly the Palm Sunday I'd been planning.

No comments: