Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Let in the Light

Let me just start off by saying that it is 4:22 p.m. and I have not talked to a single adult all day long. Not even one single word. And that is starting to wear on me. I know I could pick up the phone and call someone but I don't even have much to say and I'd just be using them for adult conversation . . . so there it is. Plus, I haven't exactly been bored. It just would've been nice to have a conversation is all I'm saying.

So, today's topic of conversation is window coverings. The minute I get up in the morning I begin the process of letting in the light from outside. Whenever its possible to open up those curtains I do (i.e. AFTER I've gotten my shower and gotten dressed, etc). I love natural light. I love to feel it warming my house. Even on overcast days it still brightens in its own muted way. So I DO NOT GET people that leave there blinds drawn all day. I mean, do they really think that at 11 a.m. someone is lurking outside just waiting for them to open their blinds so that they can peak in? Besides, its very difficult to see INTO someone's windows during the daytime if you are out in the light anyway. Not that I've tried, I'm just sayin'. Do some people really enjoy living in a cave? Do they just love the idea of their electricity meter running nonstop as they use artificial light to cast a glow on their sallow skin? I mean, really. I had a lady that lived next door to me for 3 years and I kid you not, I saw her blinds open ONE time. In THREE years. Is that not just weird. I mean, she also drove around the entire block to pick up her mail without having to get out of her car so I guess there is more there than just the blinds. Anyhow. I have other neighbors who seem entirely normal except for the fact that on a beautiful, sunny day - when it is 74 degrees and breezy - they have every shade closed. Me, I have every single window open and the most lovely movement in my home. Even if you are addicted to A/C (another gripe for another day) wouldn't you at least like to enjoy the sunshine?

Ok, that's it. Gripe done. Time to take Jake to soccer practice where hopefully the one mother that I seem to have anything in common with will be there so we can chat. C'mon Elizabeth. Don't let me down.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

ahhh! i so understand the no conversation with another adult all day thing!
and then..if you do talk to someone...what is there to say? Because..you have been immersed in motherhood all day :)
we could chat about nothing...im good at that!
love ya

Amanda said...

THANK YOU so much for this post! I often wonder the same thing about the blinds. Our neighbors are the same way. I get up and walk around my house and open all blinds...even before I make the coffee. I too like the gentle breeze flowing gracefully throughout my home. Today was absolutely beautiful wasn't it?

Red said...

Well I often leave my bedroom blinds closed because my upstairs gets SO hot and by keeping the blinds drawn and the heat out it stays cooler upstairs. And I have trouble with the windows open. Here in HOTlanta the allergies are AWFUL and if I open the windows and let all that in, it takes days of running my system to get it all out.

So in defense of your hibernating neighbors, perhaps it's allergies that keeps the windows closed...but in your neighborhood I don't believe that the heat is the issue for not opening the blinds. That's just strange. ;)