Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Good Reminder

Last Thursday I was in a bit of a funk - a pity party, if you will - because my day was not turning out as I had planned and so I decided to feel sorry for myself. You know the drill, no one likes me, I'm so bored, I lack motivation, blah blah blah blah blah. Now, if I was in charge of the universe and I looked down and saw someone indulging in such self pity I'd probably just let them wallow in it until they could get a grip on themselves. But that is not what my loving heavenly Father did. Instead He sent me four reminders through the day of some of the special women he has put into my life.
1 - I was reminded that I have a friend who would drive many hours to beat up someone who she has perceived has wronged me. No questions asked. Which most likely mean she would be beating up someone who didn't deserve it but that is the kind of friend she is.
2 - I was shown the love of a friend who despite an overwhelming schedule and amount of demands on her would make an effort to put the feelings of my son first. This would involve shoe-horning a lunch with my Jake into their day so that he would not have to be disappointed when circumstances necessitated we cancel our plans (rest assured I talked her down off the ledge of guilt and refused to let her add something else to her plate - there is plenty of time for that).
3 - I was reminded of the love of a friend as we shared our hearts with one another over the clatter of my four children on my side of the phone and the noise of her four children (plus one extra) on her end of the line. As we encouraged one another and laughed and shared prayer requests . . . my heart was lifted.
4 - I was able to watch two girls who I love dearly encourage one another via facebook - sharing love and support and planning a time that they could be together despite the fact that one lives in C-ville and the other in the Boro. And I knew that they would offer the same love and encouragement to me any time I needed it.

Thankfully by the next day I could so clearly see these blessings and all the Lord has given me and rejoice rather than mope! What an awesome God we serve and what blessings He has bestowed on me.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Hey - I made the blog, that's exciting! You forgot to mention the pineapple slicer but I'll overlook the oversight. Seriously, fun to read your blog - you are such a fun and talented writer. Hadn't been on it for a while and can't wait for a new posting!