Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Good Times At Kindergarten Registration

This morning Ainsley, Reid, Jane Dare and I accompanied Jake to Kindergarten registration at his new school. What a lucky boy Jake was to have Reid climbing up on the table to "assist" him while he tried to demonstrate his skills during assessment. How blessed as his sister loudly announced the names of all the animals in the book she was reading during the lead teacher's speech. How wonderful for him that his mother couldn't do much to help as she was busy taking care of paperwork and holding his baby sister.
I'm sure Jake did great on his assessment. I bet that speech had lots of great information in it. Positive that the tour of the school took us lots of places we'll need to know about for next year. I couldn't hear or see any of it because I was busy listening to the chorus of "my you have your hands full" and "look at this busy mom" with the occasional "are they all yours?" thrown in.
Ainsley was all about it. She would be starting kindergarten tomorrow if they would take her. Within about 30 seconds of us being in the library one teacher commented to me that she was a "fireball". I wonder what took her so long to figure it out. As we were leaving Ainsley told me how excited she was about her new school. The excitement was not contagious as Jake pretty much just wanted out. He was not to be won over by the turtles, guinea pigs, juice or cookies. He's going to make these teachers work for his adoration.
I do need to toot my own horn here a bit. First of all I managed to get all five of us dressed, fed and out the door by 8:10 with all the correct forms and documents. This includes having a loaded diaper bag and stroller in the car. Secondly when the woman who came into the library five minutes after I did with her one and only child waltzed in front of me in line without even a glance in my direction I did not pull her hair out. Thirdly when Reid wanted in and out of the stroller at every one of the four kindergarten classrooms we visited I complied and did not try to slip him a mickey.
Like I said . . . good times.

5 comments:

Red said...

ah the joys of being the oldest sibling, poor Jake. I'm glad he was such a trooper and you all made it through.

I think I'm gonna make you a t-shirt that says something like "yes these are all my kids, and yes I know how babies are made"...or something like that. I'll work on it along with more slogans for "Tony Frick for Sheriff". I'll let you know what I come up with. Maybe I can develop a clothing line for moms with more than 2.5 kids and strike it rich! :)

Sarah said...

My brother has 5 kids. (4 that live with him) Because of the CONSTANT comments he named his new boat "Yes My Hands are Full"

Course I'm just jealous he has a boat.... :)

Anonymous said...

As I have said a 100 times, you are the world's best mom.

vicduncan said...

Am I really right in discovering that your OLDEST is only now entering Kindergarten? Somehow I thought he was Keelin's age and you had them a tiny bit more spaced out! I'm going to put you in the boat with my friend here who has 11 (but her teens are able to help out with the babies, so your lot is harder!)

Unknown said...

lacey - seriously - i LOVE reading how you write about your excursions. I think I am attaching this post to my blog just for mother's day - b/c i think you just might be the superest of super moms ;)
love you!